August 16, 2010

Luke Jerram



clockwise
SARS | Smallpox | HIV | Swine Flu

Luke Jerram is an inventor, a researcher, an amateur scientist and a multidisciplinary artist. Continuing our theme of gentleman scientists, we present his beautifully articulate series "Glass Microbiology". The series was designed in consultation with a virologist and produced in collaboration with a team of specialized glassblowers. Transparent glass question the arbitrary coloring in the medical illustration of viruses and how these colors affect their emotional reception. More importantly, the sculptures bring these infectious diseases out of the shadows and into the physical world, allowing viewers to face the threats in an entirely new arena.

anonymous letter to the artist:
Dear Luke, 
I just saw a photo of your glass sculpture of HIV.
I can't stop looking at it. Knowing that millions of those guys are in me, and will be a part of me for the rest of my life. Your sculpture, even as a photo, has made HIV much more real for me than any photo or illustration I've ever seen. It's a very odd feeling seeing my enemy, and the eventual likely cause of my death, and finding it so beautiful.
Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment